Cigarette smoking facts help us to look at things in a glimpse. Links are available time and again in the following facts that lead to more detailed reading within or outside this site.
You will be surprised to know that millions of people who smoke today hardly know a fraction of the smoking facts presented here.
Many get into the habit and addiction blindly without ever giving consideration to the catastrophe that awaits them. The facts that follows also sample the frequently quoted 30 fascinating cigarettes moking facts.
Follow the link to read some other interesting facts about smoking
Cigarette smoking facts: China
• Nearly 70% of men smoke and only 3% of women. The statistics for women smokers have however began climbing in China.
• For every three cigarettes smoked on earth, one is in China.
• Smoking will wipe out one third of all male under 30 smokers in China
• Statistics show that 3000 people die every day in China due to smoking. Roughly the same number of teens who start smoking in the United states every day.
• In 2009 China increased tobacco tax by 6 to 11 % to raise more revenue as well as to curb smoking.
• China is the world’s heaviest smoker with China National Tobacco Company (CNTC) being the largest tobacco company in the world.
• China’s tobacco industry accounts for 8% of national revenue. 2008 revenue was 430 billion yuan (about US$63 billion).
• At one point in the 90s 65% of smokers were teachers and 68% physicians.
• A study in one district, Minhang, found smokers spend 60% of their personal income on smoking and 17% of household income.
• An equivalent of the entire US population smokes in China i.e 350 million people.
• A survey in China established that 60% of adults did not know that smoking can cause lung cancer and 96% were ignorant to the fact that it can cause heart disease.
• A British research established that 99% of women did not know the association between smoking and cervical cancer.
• Smoking is the biggest single preventable reason for disease and early death.
• Smoking related illness costs the US taxpayer up to $150 billion annually.
• There are 599 additives in cigarettes and 4000 toxic or carcinogenic chemicals in tobacco smoke.
• For each cigarette you smoke, you take away five minutes of your life, on average the length of time it takes to finish the cigarette.
• There is an association between cigarette smoking and diabetes.
• On average smokers puff on light and menthol cigarettes such asmalboro light cigarettes harder than regular cigarettes resulting in the same harmful levels of tar and nicotine to be consumed.
• There is approximately a 20% sugar component in cigarettes. Millions of diabetic smokers are unaware of this fact.
• A smoker’s immune system works harder than normal and is always active. Generally smokers quickly and effectively fight off viralinversion on this strength.
General cigarette smoking facts: Advertisements
• Philip Morris a US tobacco multinational in 1996 spent 43 billion on tobacco advertising.
• Peer-reviewed studies strongly point to teenage tobacco useinfluenced by cigarette advertising.
• Cigarette advertising attempts to link smoking with sexual attractiveness, athletic prowess, adulthood, adventure, fulfillment and success.
• Half of those surveyed in the UK thought that smoking “can’t really be all that dangerous, or the Government wouldn’t let cigarettes be advertised”
• In Russia foreign tobacco businesses are top advertisers taking up 40% of all TV and radio advertising.
• Smoking laws, have played a very significant role in restricting cigarette advertising.
- Want some fascinating interesting smoking statistics & facts?
- The Battle Against Smoking in Malta
- Altria Group Inc. Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated